At 15:20 this afternoon, youngsters 276 and 283 were grazing in the pasture southwest of the entrance beyond the sailing club, near ///tulip.grumbles.flat. They were both enjoying plenty of long grass and leaves from the silver birch trees. Youngsters 278 and 282 were in the woodland to the east near the fence line, making plenty of noise as they moved around and snapped branches. Youngster 283 spotted me approaching and came over to greet me with gentle head rubs before settling in for the first of many neck scratches. The boys among the trees must have heard my voice, as they soon started making their way over, with youngster 278 announcing his arrival with a friendly moo. The boys were all very friendly, taking turns to come over for strokes, rubs, and plenty of attention. The flies were out in force today, swarming around their eyes and noses as well as gathering across their shoulders and sides. They all appreciated having them gently brushed from their faces, but the relief never lasted long — the flies soon returned, with some even deciding to land on me instead.
As the boys were clearly becoming uncomfortable, I led them about 75 metres over to the woodland to the northeast, near ///soaps.ambient.snuck. It was noticeably cooler beneath the trees, with far fewer flies. The boys soon gathered around me again, content to stand and chew their cud. One by one, they each stepped forward for long neck and back scratches, clearly appreciating the attention. Once they had had their turn, youngsters 276, 278, and 282 each settled down at my feet to rest and chew their cud. Youngster 283 soon came over again and was happy to just stand while I gave him an extended back rub, shuffling forwards and backwards to ensure I reached all his itchy spots. I suspect he would have happily stood there accepting scratches all evening if given the chance. All four were happy, relaxed, and looking well.
I said my goodbyes at 16:50, leaving the three youngsters resting and chewing their cud. As I began to walk away, youngster 283 also settled down beside them.
Before leaving, I went to check the trough, which was once again covered with a layer of pine needles and leaves from the tree above. I gave it a thorough clean and made sure it was full for when the boys stopped by later for a drink.
The cattle were all good today.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.