At 14:10 this afternoon, the ponies were grazing in the gorse bushes northeast of the ammo compound. They were all very friendly, each taking a turn to come over, say hello, and enjoy plenty of strokes and rubs. Afterwards, they drifted to the eastern side of the compound to continue grazing, but they still returned one by one for more attention—happily soaking up long neck and back scratches and offering gentle nuzzles and cuddles in return.
The dark bay mare with the white star and white rear socks has a few issues with her hooves. Her rear left hoof has a crack, there is a chip in her front left hoof, and there appears to be a scratch on her rear right hoof (photos below). The damage on the rear left hoof is from a previous injury and is gradually growing out. She was walking normally and showed no signs of discomfort, but we should continue to monitor her in case anything worsens. I have informed the owner, and it's likely she will need to go home briefly to see the farrier. Other than this, all the ponies were happy, relaxed, and in good condition.
The yearlings had been grazing further northeast in the gorse near ///quoted.crowned.shut, but at around 14:30, yearling 276 wandered over to say hello. With the ponies so close by, he retreated to the bushes beside the compound, mooing repeatedly to make sure I knew where he was. I went over to greet him, and he enjoyed a good neck rub. However, the ponies wanted more attention and soon gathered around. The other three yearlings arrived soon after, making things a little crowded. I made my way around the ponies to give them all a few more strokes before walking the boys around the corner to the area near ///measures.coil.camps to spend some time with them.
The boys were very friendly and thoroughly enjoyed neck, shoulder, and back scratches. Several showers passed through while I was with them, but they didn’t seem bothered and continued soaking up the attention. All four were happy, relaxed, and looking well. A couple of the ponies wandered over briefly at different points but, after receiving a few strokes, they headed off to the northwest to graze again. I said my goodbyes at 15:25, hoping the boys would head off to graze and avoid any crowding from the ponies.
Shortly after, a heavy shower came through, and all the ponies took shelter under the trees near ///behave.avid.chaos. They enjoyed some extra strokes and rubs while we waited for the rain to ease. The boys also came to shelter under the same trees. Once the rain passed, they all moved southwest to graze among the heather and gorse in the pasture near ///valley.walls.baked. I said my goodbyes shortly before 16:00, leaving them all peacefully grazing as another shower rolled in.
Earlier in my visit, I found some plastic-coated metal wire in the bushes southeast of the ammo compound near ///stored.sprinter.zips. As I was leaving, I moved the wire to just outside the barrier at the entrance by the car park near ///announced.slams.pinch. I have informed the MOD Operations Room (and shared the photos) as well as the local Guard Room.
The cows and the ponies were all good today.
Thank you for that Gordon, I reported the wire/rope last week after Jacky called it it. Good to see they act swiftly on these things.... 🙄🙄🙄🙄
ReplyDelete