Emergency Procedure

If you need to report an emergency to us such as injured or escaped livestock or damaged infrastructure please follow this procedure:

  1. Call the office on 01256 381190.
  2. If no one answers, wait for the answering message which will detail the name and mobile number of the member of staff who is currently on call.
  3. Phone the on-call member of staff who will then respond accordingly.

NOTES:

  • Please do not phone a member of staff directly unless you know they are on-call.

  • If you are unsure if a particular situation qualifies as an emergency then please phone the on-call member of staff anyway so that they can make the decision on how to proceed.

  • Most importantly of all – please do not report injuries or sick animals via the blog alone – always call the emergency on-call contact.


    Thank you!

    Saturday, 25 July 2026

    Saturday 25th July - All 4 seen - NoFence collars still triggering while drinking at the water trough - can this be sorted please?

    At 14:50 this afternoon, the boys were grazing north of the Duck Pond. I decided to approach them from the south, wandering through the completely dry pond before reaching the woodland on the far side, only to realise they were a little further north than I had first thought. I was just about to turn around and head back when youngster 283 emerged over a muddy bank to greet me. He thoroughly enjoyed a long head and neck rub before ambling back down the bank, with me following behind. Youngster 282 must have spotted me and welcomed me with a moo before coming over to say hello. Youngsters 276 and 278 soon appeared from the thicket to the northwest. The boys were all very friendly, taking turns to enjoy plenty of strokes and rubs. Unfortunately, they were being bothered by large numbers of flies today, especially around their eyes and nostrils, but were happy for me to gently brush them away, even if it was only temporary.

    After our initial greetings, the boys gathered around me in the bushes near ///annoys.classic.joys to rest and chew their cud, with me offering a little protection from the flies. They took turns leaning in for long neck and back scratches while they rested. They were especially affectionate, offering plenty of gentle head rubs and licks in return.

    By 15:55, the boys had crossed the bank and started grazing in the dry Duck Pond. Youngster 278 soon came back over to stand with me, far more interested in another back scratch than grazing. By 16:10, he had returned to grazing with the others, and a short while later I said my goodbyes, quietly slipping away and leaving them grazing peacefully. I had almost made it through the woodland back to the main path near the car park when I heard rustling behind me and turned to find the boys had decided to follow me once again.

    After another round of strokes and scratches, the boys happily grazed on fresh grass and browsed leaves from the trees. I was just about to say my goodbyes again when one of the Landmarc team spotted me from the road and came in for a catch-up. While we were chatting, the boys clearly wanted my attention, mooing frequently and coming over to offer gentle head rubs. Once we'd finished chatting, I wandered further south into the shade, and the boys soon gathered around me once more, keen for more attention. I eventually managed to slip away at 16:55, leaving them resting peacefully.

    Before leaving, I went to check the trough, which was covered with thin, needle-like leaves from the tree above. I managed to clear most of them, but with a gentle breeze blowing, more continued to fall into the water. The trough was full, and the water was clean. I was just about to leave and head back to the car when the boys arrived at 17:15 for a drink. Unfortunately, once again, as I reported on 4 July, their collars gave an audible warning before delivering a shock while they were drinking. Please, can the boundary be extended to stop this happening, as this is very likely the only drinking water available on site at present? I do have a video of youngster 276's collar sounding and him getting shocked if anyone from HIWWT would like it. I left for the final time soon after, leaving the boys resting in the shade of the trees.

    The cattle were all good today.
     








    2 comments:

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

    Sorry for the late notice tues 8/9 but we wont get to cows today

     The morning has not gone to plan and Ziggy has annual jabs this pm so we are not going to get to the cows today sorry