Shortly after 14:30 this afternoon, the cattle were gathered in front of the water trough, having recently wandered down from the paddock. As I approached, the boys were all standing to attention, watching me closely. As soon as they recognised me, I was greeted with a chorus of moos. They were all incredibly friendly, taking turns to come over, say hello, and enjoy plenty of strokes and rubs. Judging by the water level in the trough and the fact that it was still refilling, they had obviously had a refreshing drink shortly before my arrival.
After our initial greetings, the boys soon gathered around me to rest and chew their cud. They would take turns stepping forward for more attention, all thoroughly enjoying repeated neck and back rubs. Chin scratches seemed to be a particular favourite today, with all three stretching their necks right out so I could get to the underside of their chins. When not being fussed over, they would stand and chew their cud, groom themselves, give me affectionate head rubs and licks, or even participate in some play fighting. On a couple of occasions, things got a little too rough for my liking, and they needed to be told to stop. All three were happy, relaxed, and looking well.
By 15:35, youngster 282 had found a comfortable spot just behind the water trough to settle down to rest and chew his cud. Youngsters 278 and 283 still wanted more attention and lined themselves up side by side to enjoy back scratches at the same time. After a while, youngster 283 settled down at my feet, with youngster 278 following about five minutes later. With them all resting, I took the opportunity to give the trough a good clean.
Afterwards, all three were more than happy to continue receiving more strokes and rubs while they were resting. Youngster 283 got up for another back scratch before repositioning himself in a more comfortable spot slightly further away from youngster 278. They were all absolutely fine today and weren't showing any signs of acorn poisoning during my time with them. It felt very surreal not seeing youngster 276 today. I'm so used to finding all four together, with them all taking turns to be fussed over, that his absence made the place feel strangely different.
I said my goodbyes at 16:30, leaving them all peacefully resting and chewing their cud. As I was walking away, though, I looked back to see the boys following me. Youngster 278 gave a loud moo and walked up to me, giving me a gentle nudge, before positioning himself for yet another back scratch. I'd clearly missed a spot earlier! After another round of scratches, I said a final goodbye at 16:45, leaving them all grazing in the pasture in the sunshine.
The cattle were all good today.
That's good to hear.
ReplyDelete