Concerned that Margaret hadn't seen youngster 276 this afternoon, I made an extra visit to ensure he had returned.
At 17:50, all four cattle were standing in the woodland near the water trough. They spotted me approaching and greeted me with a chorus of moos. Youngsters 278 and 283 were quick to wander over to say hello and enjoy a few strokes. Youngster 282 was relaxing and chewing his cud just behind the trough and enjoyed a neck scratch, while youngster 276 was standing at the trough.
I went over to check on youngster 276 and noticed he had frothy saliva around his mouth. He appeared uncomfortable and was occasionally taking deeper breaths than normal. At times, he made audible gurgling sounds and was seen coughing. He allowed me to check him and did not have any visible signs of injury, nor did he appear to have anything stuck in his throat.
After about ten minutes, he went to lie down, but after a short time got back to his feet and returned to the water trough. He allowed me to approach him again for another check, standing calmly while I stroked the sides of his neck. He was seen frequently drinking and lowering his mouth into the water. After a little while, he wandered off to the trees beyond the trough and was observed bringing up more frothy fluid. Fluid was also seen draining from his nostrils. He wasn't panicked or distressed, and soon came back over to stand beside me near the trough.
Youngsters 278, 282, and 283 were all very friendly, and would wander over to spend some time with me, enjoying plenty of strokes and rubs while I was keeping a careful eye on youngster 276. The boys were happy, relaxed, and looking well.
Around 18:25, the boys wandered off to graze in the pasture to the northeast, while youngster 276 remained in the woodland, standing close to me. While still clearly not right, he did appear a bit more settled and wasn't producing any more frothy saliva. After about ten minutes, he wandered out to join the others, who were now grazing along the sides of the grassy track heading northeast. Youngster 276 wandered with them but didn't graze, and at no point was he seen chewing his cud.
After another round of back scratches, I said my goodbyes at 18:50, with youngsters 278, 282, and 283 continuing to graze and youngster 276 following the grass track alongside them.
Upon first noticing youngster 276 appearing unwell, I contacted Chris from HIWWT and shared several photos and videos while observing him. Chris in turn consulted the grazing team, who concluded he didn't need immediate attention but would check on him in the morning. Hopefully, J'Adore is feeling better soon.
With the exception of youngster 276, the cattle were all good today.
I've just read Gordon's & Margaret's reports and confirm that I'll be out early tomorrow, (Friday)to check on the cattle and will get my blog on what I find published ASAP & hopefully by 09.00
ReplyDelete