Emergency Procedure

If you need to report an emergency to us such as injured or escaped livestock or damaged infrastructure please follow this procedure:

  1. Call the office on 01256 381190.
  2. If no one answers, wait for the answering message which will detail the name and mobile number of the member of staff who is currently on call.
  3. Phone the on-call member of staff who will then respond accordingly.

NOTES:

  • Please do not phone a member of staff directly unless you know they are on-call.

  • If you are unsure if a particular situation qualifies as an emergency then please phone the on-call member of staff anyway so that they can make the decision on how to proceed.

  • Most importantly of all – please do not report injuries or sick animals via the blog alone – always call the emergency on-call contact.


    Thank you!

    Monday, 21 April 2025

    Monday 21 Apr 25. (11.15 - 12.45) Found the 3 Ponies, but was unable to get to where the cattle were. Also found a grass snake.

     Did a circuit of the areas where I commonly find the ponies, but found none.

    So, I headed towards the J4/K4/K5 area, where the tracker showed all four cattle were located.  Despite dismounting the bike and crossing a "bridge", certainly not designed with my 23 stone in mind, I probably got within 50 yards of them, but was unable to view them.  They did not move much from that area, (according to the tracker) for the rest of my time on the common.

    I then began another pony search and quickly came upon all three, on the SE corner of the ammo dump in F6.  I took several pictures of each, but accidentally deleted all but this one.  All three were grazing contentedly and appeared well.


    While I was near the "bridge" in the J5ish area, I came across a small piece of corrugated iron, lying on the ground.  I know that snakes like to be under these, so I inverted it and managed to get the following photo as a (approx 12-inch long, 1/4 inch thick) brown snake uncurled itself and headed quickly back under the piece if CI.  I believe it to be a grass snake.  You may need to copy & zoom into the photo.  It's moving L to R and it's head is already under the CI.


    2 comments:

    1. NOTE: The Ponies were taken off site shortly after my visit today.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Tony, that's a nice sighting, I think you're right it is a Grass snake but quite hard to tell from the pic. I'll send the information about the sighting to our reptile surveyors at HIWARG.

      ReplyDelete

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

    Wednesday 30th. Morning

     Checked the water trough first, it was all Ok As I then walked across the site to find the cows I looked for Oak trees.  There are quite a ...