Shortly after 14:00 this afternoon, yearling 278 was browsing gorse in the ditch beside the northernmost path, near ///salsa.yield.hikes. He quickly climbed up to ground level to greet me and was happy for me to brush loose gorse from his head, neck, and back. The other three yearlings must have heard my voice, as they emerged from the woodland one by one to say hello and enjoy strokes and rubs.
After our initial greetings, the boys settled on the path to relax and chew their cud, forming a loose circle around me. They thoroughly enjoyed long neck and back scratches while they rested, offering affectionate head rubs and the occasional lick in return. They were also quick to nudge one another whenever they felt my attention should be focused on them instead. All four were happy, relaxed, and looking really well. I said my goodbyes at 14:50, leaving them resting beside the path.
Shortly afterwards, as I turned off the path to follow the track through the centre of the site, I found the ponies grazing in the sunshine near ///golf.waltzes.alpha. As I waded through the muddy, waterlogged ground to reach them, they greeted me with soft nickers. The girls took turns coming over to say hello and enjoyed plenty of strokes and rubs, returning the affection with gentle nuzzles and the sweetest cuddles.
After about ten minutes, the cattle arrived, announcing themselves with a few moos. I felt bad not going over to them, but knew the ponies would follow if I did. Before long, the boys settled in the sunshine to chew their cud while I continued spending time with the ponies.
By 15:25, the ponies began moving onto the path to browse gorse on either side, while the boys stepped aside into the gorse bushes to the north. Four ponies stayed behind for some extra attention. When I moved onto the path at 15:40, yearling 278 quickly emerged from the bushes to join me for more strokes, soon followed by yearlings 282 and 283. After plenty of fuss, they headed off through the gorse to browse heather in the pasture to the north. When I looked again, yearling 276 had joined them as well.
I said my goodbyes to the ponies at 16:10 as darkness began to fall, and the air turned chilly, leaving them peacefully browsing gorse beside the path.
The cows and the ponies were all good today.
Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.