At 14:10 this afternoon, the cattle were grazing in the thicket near ///part.cases.clays, north of the ammo compound. The ponies were grazing further west near the blast wall, but I approached quietly so I could spend some time with the boys. Yearling 283 was the first to spot me and came straight out to the path to say hello, enjoying some uninterrupted scratches. After about five minutes, the others realised I was there and joined us for plenty of strokes and rubs.
Once we had finished our greetings, the boys gathered around me and began to relax and chew their cud. They took turns stepping forward for long neck and back rubs, although yearling 276 was particularly enjoying the attention and was reluctant to give up his spot. All four were very affectionate, offering gentle head rubs in return. They were happy, relaxed, and looking well.
There were many flies around today, bothering both the cattle and the ponies, particularly around their ears.
Shortly before 15:00, the army security team drove around the ammo compound, causing the ponies to run off to the south. I caught up with them at 15:10 beside the path near ///theory.piles.fleet. Polly was the first to emerge from the gorse, greeting me with soft nickers before enjoying a neck rub. The others soon followed, all keen to say hello and receive strokes and rubs. The cattle trailed behind but sensibly kept their distance before heading into the pasture to the north to graze.
After saying hello, the ponies alternated between browsing gorse, resting by the path, and returning for more attention. Several enjoyed having their backs and sides brushed, as well as having gorse removed from their manes and tails. Gradually, they followed the path southeast towards the entrance by the car park. All seven were relaxed and in good condition.
At 16:00, a brief shower passed through, and the ponies wandered off to the trees west of the entrance for shelter. The boys, who had finished grazing and were gathered about 100 metres north of the ponies, took this as their opportunity for more attention, which I was happy to provide. They enjoyed more neck and ear rubs before I said my goodbyes and began walking towards the entrance. They followed me all the way, and after a final round of scratches, I slipped away shortly after 16:30, leaving them resting and chewing their cud by the cattle grid.
The cows and the ponies were all good today.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.